A little sneak peek at a comp element from an upcoming project by PP’s Eimhin, featuring animation by Ciara Nolan
Animation Workshops for Ages 8-12
Sunday 10th April @ 1pm & 3.30pm
In this workshop you will work in groups with other children to create animation using hand drawn and pixilation techniques.
• In the hand-drawn animation, you will start by inventing and drawing your own character onto paper. You will then be shown how to morph your character into another one from the group via a series of 5-7 drawings. This will create a loopable animation of shape-shifting characters.
• To explore the technique of pixilation (derived from the word ‘pixie’), you will be part of animating real people and objects (including yourself) in front of a camera. The workshop will give you a hands-on understanding of how animation can be created. This is your chance to work with a professional animator and be introduced to two very different techniques.
Free entry on a first-come, first-served basis, voluntary donations welcome.
We were recently asked to put together some illustration concepts for The Ark‘s upcoming event guide.
The main thrust was to create an image which showed stages in an action, or animation.
Here is what we cooked up for them:
We also have some upcoming workshops in the Ark:
Our first workshop is being hosted by PP’s Pádraig at the Ark as part of the Animation Art Show, with a more in depth series of workshops beginning in June and continuing into August which you can check out HERE, HERE, & HERE
We’ll be posting more information on those workshops once final details are all confirmed!
Cave Canem, a recent cut-out illustration piece by Eimhin.
Details of the piece:
Hosted another Character Design demo with Coláiste Dhúlaigh’s 2nd & 3rd years this month.
Here are some drawings from it, demonstrating simplification, and the effects of costuming with an semi-abstract everyman:
Here’s a little family portrait made by Eimhin over the past few weeks
It began with this rough sketch. I ended up flipping Chaloupa, and adding in a little tree topper to help the composition
Then the illustration was built up with vectors
A quick colour & layering test to make sure overlap and overhang is working
It was then broken up and outputted to our die cutter.
Tree & Eimhin
Only a few days until the A4 ART 4 REFUGEES fundraiser and art show opens! Please help spread the word!
A4 Art 4 Refugees – https://www.facebook.com/events/402705623260563/407252966139162
We now have a full list of Raffle Prizes:
- A4 Sounds Bag of Merch
- Life Drawing Course hosted by PP’s Eimhin at A4 Sounds
- Maker.ie Electronic Music Equipment Building Workshop for 2
- Paper Panther Productions Goodie Bag, including shirts, prints & more
- Cyclebike €50 Voucher & Gamestop spot prize
- Sissy & Cal Folger Day 7″ Vinyls & The Annulments CD Album
- Lilliput Press Voucher
- Viking Splash Tours & Book of Kells Tickets for a group of 4
- Bleecker Street Cafe Bar Meal Voucher & Light House Cinema Tickets for 2
- Lilliput Stores Voucher
- Ashley Park Bed & Breakfast Weekend Break
- Susan Hunter Lingerie Voucher & a bottle of Prosecco
- PLUS: 2 pieces selected from the exhibition!
Get your raffle tickets here: LINK
Info on the Exhibition and Auction:
From the 5th to the 8th of November A4 Sounds and Paper Panther are hosting an art exhibition and auction in aid of the current refugee crisis with proceeds going to Global Giving to support refugees. The UN Refugee Agency estimates that more than 4 million people, half of whom are children, have fled Syria to neighbouring countries, and 7.4 million people are displaced internally within Syria. The crisis is the worst the world has seen in over twenty years and the need for refugee support is dire. At this critical point with refugees facing a winter that is predicted to be one of the worst on record, A4 Sounds and Paper Panther put a call out for artists to donate time and work and over thirty artists have responded.
Eimhin McNamara, one of the founding members of Paper Panther, an award winning group of animators who come together to develop and create short films, commercials, TV series and workshops, developed the idea for the Artwork Auction to raise funds for the refugee crisis.
“It came about as a response to feeling so helpless to the constantly increasing numbers which are being reported. The format for the exhibition and auction came from being previously involved with the Animation Art Show, another excellent fundraiser, in aid of children’s charities. With A4’s Art 4 Refugees show we hope to not only raise funds through the creation of artwork but also to create a human connection, closing the distance between the idea of ‘them’ and ‘us’ and help build a more open and caring world community.” Once the initial shape of the project was defined Eimhin brought the idea to A4 Sounds, the arts organisation and space where Paper Panther are based, who immediately came on board as collaborators, providing a venue, event management and carpentry services to set up the exhibition space.
A4 Sounds arts organisation is involved in this initiative as it’s mission is to foster interdisciplinary collaboration to add to the field of socially engaged art through their projects and actions. They want to make art that matters. This art auction will matter to the refugees and proceeds will fully go to charity, namely Global Giving.
About Global Giving
Global Giving provides a community based crowd funding platform for nonprofits. The Syrian Refugee Relief fund provides aid services including:
- Delivering food and clean water, providing shelters and household essentials to families in need.
- Continuing to provide refugees with safe access to lifesaving medical aid, including reproductive health care.
- Supporting children whose schooling has been disrupted by the conflict, and setting up safe spaces in refugee camps for children to learn and play.
- Providing refugees with psychosocial support to help reduce emotional consequences of traumatic stress and restore a sense of hope and normalcy.
About the Artwork
We have over 40 artworks for the show, with over 30 artists represented. You can view a Facebook Album of the submitted art here along with details on the artists here: LINK
In the next few days a full online catalogue will be released and, for people not able to attend the auction, they will be able to make online bids in advance, indicating their maximum bid.
There is a wide variety of work to bid on, with over thirty artists already committed to the project, from animators, illustrators, graphic designers, art directors, to fine artists, sculptors, photographers and conceptual artists
A4 Sounds are hosting an exhibition and auction of Artwork in aid of the refugee crisis.
Opening night & Raffle: Thursday 5th of November 19:00
Exhibition open to the public: Friday 6th & Saturday the 7th of November 10:00 – 20:00
Auction: Sunday 8th of November. 13:00 – 17:00
All proceeds going towards Global Giving’s Syrian Refugee Relief fund.
The show opens on Thursday the 5th of November at 19:00, and features a raffle, with a host of prizes up for grabs. Raffle tickets are €5 each and will be available to purchase on-line before the event, as well as on the night itself. The exhibition is open to the public for the following Friday and Saturday from 10:00-20:00, with the auction itself occurring on Sunday the 8th of November from 13:00-17:00.
Our current sponsors include: Woodworkers and Hobbies Ltd. -Dublin, Printlines,
Bleecker Street Cafe Bar, Trinity College Dublin, Michael Canning, Colm Hackett and Paddy Cullen.
If you are interested in volunteering time, donating raffle prizes or even sponsoring the event, you can get in touch with us using the contact details below.
Paper Panther: http://paperpanther.ie/
A4 Sounds: http://a4sounds.org/
Facebook page for auction: LINK
Raffle Tickets: LINK
Global Giving‘s refugee relief fund: LINK
Contact for Press: